developer (#13) - Tools and resources for develop pgRouting (#270) - Message List

Tools and resources for develop pgRouting

hello everybody,

I'm interesting in enhance some code of pgRouting, and I want to know what IDE are you using for developent?

I know about all tools necesary (C/C++, Subversion, cmake, PostgreSQL, PostGIS and Mapserver, etc), but a want to use the best GUI for develop.

Are you using eclipse? or kDevelop? or gedit?, or vi, or nano or emacs?.

The other thing, do you have some code rules?, or rules for repository versioning?

• Message #956

Hi Christian,

Thank you very much for your offer! We're glad about any contribution to the pgRouting library.

I know about all tools necesary, but a want to use the best GUI for develop.

This is really up to you. What you like most and are used to will do the job. Linux in general will make your life easier, I think.

The other thing, do you have some code rules?, or rules for repository versioning?

We have no particular rules (yet), but we're always open for good ideas. I know, that this is something we should think about when the number of contributers is increasing.

Since we got a Google Summer of Code project assigend this year and want to work a bit more on documentation and examples, I set up a sandbox directory in the pgRouting repository.
    I would like to give you access to this sandbox, because it would make things more convenient: you could do some coding in your sandbox first and later we can merge with trunk.
    For adding you to the user list I need your username with an encrypted password (see  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/programs/htpasswd.html). You can send this to kastl [at] orkney dot co dot jp.

I'm keen to hear what kind of enhancements you're planning to do. We could also discuss this on the mailing list, because I know that not everybody is reading this forum regularly.

• Message #957

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your soon answer and yours comments, Please see this documentation about "Release Management", I like some parts of this  http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2007-October/030083.html , and maybe we could get the best parts from this. About the GUI, I'm trying with eclipse, becouse it has all in one GUI (I mean, subversion, c/c++ editor, cMake editor, Mylyn-trac interface, and others).

I'm the same "Christian Gonzalez" and old username christiangda <christiangda@…>, please see "http://pgrouting.postlbs.org/discussion/13/15" but I don't know why I cannot get access with this account to website. Maybe yo need to delete this old account.

Now,I want first is to improve is "Dijkstra algorithm", becouse it has problem with memory leaks and big id's. Then I could add and improve some "pgsql" functions for a better interface

Regards, Christian Gonzalez

• Message #959

Hi Christian,

First I added your htpasswd string, so you should (as long as I didn't do something wrong) be able to create a sandbox directory in the pgRouting SVN now. If it doesn't work, let me know.

Second I removed the "christiangda" account, so if you like you can create it again. Of course I remember that patch you provided, because it made the topology script so much faster. So I'm glad to hear that you're going to join the pgRouting project.

I will look into the document you provided. I also think that we should little bit formalize the development process. There was always a discussion about starting the OSGeo incubation process or not, and for this we had to work on issues like this for sure.
        One reason that we didn't apply for an OSGeo project yet was, that currently pgRouting is almost 100% an Orkney project. For OSGeo projects it is one strict requirement to have more than one developer/organisation involved. Though it's not easy to find people to actively join and support the development and community.

Said this, we would appreciate to get more people/companies involved.