data (#23) - without GIS (#330) - Message List

without GIS

Hi all. I was wondering if there is somebody who could give me a hint with my issue here. I need to calculate the shortes way between to point which are located in two different countries. If have the distances between lets say budapest to various border-points situated at the border of hungary. I have also all the distances of its neighbouring countries from border to border. My destination is lets say paris. So the shortest path would possibly be, budapest to the austrian border to german border to french border to paris. I have all this distances but no coordinates. I there a way to solve this problem by using one of the algorithms?

• Message #1370

Yes, you can.

The Dijkstra doesn't need coordinates. It only cares about "costs" between two points. In your case the distance is your cost attribute.

But what you need to know is how your points are connected, so you need a network with relations between points. If you have this, you can use pgRouting.

• Message #1371

Thanks daniel.. Let's see if i am able to get it to work..

• Message #1372

If something doesn't work, post your qestion here or in the mailing list.

• Message #1374

Thank You very much.. it works! the only thing i have to figure out is get the right order of the results since there is no output which gives me the right sequence... there are only vertex_id, edge_id and cost and the various steps are not in the right order...

• Message #1375

Do you use the trunk version of SVN? Or a Windows binary?

As far as I remember, there should be also an "id" attribute you can order by, which it does if you use the available wrapper functions. And I guess you won't, because they all contain geometry attribute, which you don't have.
            (I'm not sure the 'id' attribute is in 1.03)