others (#15) - New project for driving directions using pgrouting (#338) - Message List

New project for driving directions using pgrouting

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been brought up before but I've been looking for a project that provides driving directions on top of pgrouting. I've found quite a few discussions about it and sites that have implemented it but couldn't find anything actually production-ready. I'm thinking of starting a new project to provide this functionality and would really appreciate any suggestions / advice / code examples that would help get this started. Or if anyone knows of an existing project that provides this, even better!

Thanks, Ollie

• Message #1389

Hi Ollie,

As explained in the mailing list already, it's very data dependant. So may I ask you, which data you're supposed to use? Maybe that's a good start.

• Message #1390

Hi daniel,

Thanks for replying! My idea is to start with a very generic dataset that will provide basic direction capabilities. A great place to start would be the table schema outlined in the FOSS4G2007 Workshop for the shooting star algorithm. It already includes the one-way, length and turn restrictions information. I'd think the minimum that would be required to get some basic functionality would be modelled on the OSM routing tags and would require adding these additional columns:

. label: the name of the road
      . type: the type of the road. This could be restricted to that used by OSM (Highway-type) with the addition of the roundabout type
      . max_speed: maximum speed for the road

There's much more information that could be added but as a first version I think the above could provide a respectable driving directions module. As long as it's all well documented so users know what they need to map to the table I think it would be useful. Please tell me if I'm wrong and missing anything obvious.

My initial idea is to study implementations I've found that uses OSM data (i.e. OSMNavigation) and convert the logic behind them to use data stored in a format that can also be used by pgRouting.

Just to provide some background, I'm doing this for a road network dataset in West Africa that's being used commercially for Garmin and Navitel devices. I've already spent some time transforming the data between multiple formats and have managed to get something working using OSM-based libraries but I'd much prefer something based on pgRouting as that's what I'm using for online routing.

• Message #1391

Just to make things a bit clearer, I'd basically like to implement this  file as a Postgresql function or as added information to the current routing functions.

Sorry for the information overload!