developer (#13) - DUBT PGROUTING (#363) - Message List

DUBT PGROUTING

Hi!!

I'm new in this world and I was interested to use pgRouting to work with it. But there's a bug on the web and I can't know what is the output of this library. Can someone please tell me what is the output if I use this program?

• Message #1508

Sorry, but this question is so unclear (not to say weired) that I doubt this is not some spam. Can you better explain what you want to know?

• Message #1511

yes!! I'm sorry if you don't have understood me!!

Firstly I want to know if the application pgRouting works in a "parallel way" with postgreSQL, or if it works "inside" postgreSQL (= if I have to put pgRouting folder inside postgreSQL folder).

Finally, I know that this library works with data of postgreSQL, and can calculate, for example, the shortest path between two points. The thing that I don't know is how is represented the solution (or where is stocked or saved). Is it in a new TABLE of postgreSQL, or is it in a txt file, ...

Do you understand me?

Thank you for all, and I am sorry about all this but I'm new in this world and I don't have a lot of computing knowledge!!

Thanks!!!! :)

• Message #1512

OK, now I understand.

pgRouting is an "extension" of PostgreSQL/PostGIS that adds new functions to solve shortest path search queries. It adds these functions in a similar way as PostGIS does.

You use SQL to find the shortest path and the result is a list of nodes or links (depends on which function or wrapper you use) you pass on your way. You can store it as a table if you like.

I recommend you to read through one of the workshops, because it will show you some not too difficult examples: WorkshopFOSS4G2008

• Message #1513

Thank you!! Now I can see the things more clear!! :)

But now I have another doubt... I saw that I can install it on windows by two ways: using the source code, or using a windows binary folder. My question is that if I want to use windows binary folder (because I know that it's easier that source code), must I install all the libraries (like BOOST, CGAL, GAUL, ...) or it's not necessary?

I know that with source code it's necessary, but I don't know if it's necessary with the windows binary!

Thank you another time!!!

• Message #1514

You can take the source code and compile it yourself, but that's very difficult. Taking the binaries is much easier and they should include all except PostgreSQL and PostGIS. You need to take care that the binary version matches with your Windows version and PostgreSQL version, because it's compiled just for that one.

• Message #1515

Thank youuu!! Now I can understand more things!!! The thing now is that I want to download maps from OSM to pgRouting. I'm actually using a Windows PC. How can I export the osm data to postgreSQL knowing that I want to use the pgRouting application after? - I know that I can do it with Osmosis. But the problem of Osmosis is that it transfers the data with another distribution of the tables and the rows, so I doesn't work. - I know that I can use too osm2pgrouting, but I don't know how to compile it in a windows computer. I have been searching and I don't find any tutorial.. Is there any other application to export the data from osm to postgreSQL knowing that I'm doing this to use after pgRouting?

Thank a looooot :) Jorge Soler

• Message #1516

I have found this app on the forum: http://pgrouting.postlbs.org/discussion/message/1428

I think it works! Can I use it to use finally pgRouting? Will the tables be with the right distribution (rows, etc..)

Thank you!

• Message #1531

Yes, this tool is a good one if you want t use OSM data.